Ovarian Cyst, Connecticut woman

A 38-year-old Connecticut woman with 132-pound of the ovarian tumor was removed by two doctors who are doing the operation. The ovarian cyst was present in her digestive tract, and now, the patient is recovering and expected to get fit shortly.

The patient said that the ovarian tumor was started to grow at a rate of about 10 pounds per week during November. To operate her, a medical team of 12 surgeons started to remove the 132-pound ovarian cyst which takes them about 5 hours at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut on February 14th.

Dr. Vaagn Andikyan who is a gynecologic oncologist for Western Connecticut Health Network said that surgery said, “I saw the desperation in this lady’s eyes. She felt that nobody could help her, and when I informed her, ‘Yes, ma’am, there is a good chance you will be back to normal,’ she felt much better.”Dr, Vaagn Andikyan added by saying, “During the surgery, we removed this gigantic tumor that originated from her left ovary. We removed her left ovary, her left (fallopian) tube, and we removed the affected peritoneal tissue that was adhering to the ovary.”

The tumor which was originated in the epithelial cells lining of the ovary and was filled with a gelatin-like substance which is produced by the tumor cells. Ovarian mucinous are usually big, but a tumor of this size is very rare. The tumor is noncancerous and had not spread to the outside of ovary, but the tumor is continuously compressing the nearby blood vessels which have made the life of the patient in danger.

Dr. Linus Chuang who is the chairman of obstetrics and gynecology for Western Connecticut Health Network said, “There were a lot of issues related to this very large tumor in the abdomen. She can’t eat, she can’t walk, and there are problems related to potential complications with this large mass compressing the venous system. She was at very high risk of developing blood clots because of compression of the blood flow.”

Dr. David Goldenberg who is the section chief of plastic surgery at Danbury Hospital said, “The huge weight of the tumor made anesthesia dangerous. All of a sudden you are going to reduce that weight in a flash, and the cardiac system has to adjust very quickly, so there was a tremendous amount of preparation done beforehand to anticipate that kind of a problem.”

Andikyan said that she is now in good condition and having a great physical condition and started to do her normal things slowly.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here