A resident in a nursing home in Georgia was reported dead when she was eaten alive at the time of months or years due to scabies infestation. A pending lawsuit was found that was filed by the family when the 93-year old Rebecca Zeni died from scabies in the year 2015 at the nursing home. According to the autopsy report, it was clear that the death cause of Zeni was “septicemia due to crusted scabies.” The health officials of the state were reported at the about the outbreak of the disease at the Georgian nursing home for sometimes, but they never inspected the LaFayette facility.
According to the forensic pathologist who examined Zeni’s body estimates that more than millions of parasitic mites have been eating Zeni alive for months or years. Zeni’s family had to say that their mother followed an American dream of becoming a successful person. She earlier worked in a naval yard during the times of World War II, later started modeling in the New York City and had also worked for some time at a TV station in Chicago.
Zeni’s daughter did not come forward to face the interview camera but had to say that she moved her mother to the shepherd hills nursing home in the year 2010. The health reports suggested that Zeni had dementia.
One of the two attorneys who represented Zeni’s family in the case against the Pritt Health that operated the shepherd Hills Nursing home had to say that, “I do not understand how anyone can allow a human being to suffer endlessly.”
Scabies is one of the most dangerous skin diseases that are caused when the parasitic mites burrow deep into the skin, produce eggs, and decide to survive inside the body. The disease is quite painful, but yes, it can be treated. The pictures of Zeni before her death show how her skin flaked off and her hand got blackened.
Dr. Kris Sperry, the forensic pathologist and the former chief medical examiner at the Bureau of Investigation, Georgia had to say that he has personally examined more than 6,000 autopsies and was the supervision in charge of more than 80, 000 others but this case is one that shook him. He had never seen anything like this before in his career as a forensic pathologist.